Rape experience scars student

By Ioanna Makris and Henry Ramos

On Sept. 17, 2010, a Texas Tech student’s life was forever changed at The Centre, a popular off-campus apartment complex.

“He got on top of me and he started kissing me and holding me down,” she said. “He was holding my arms down and he started moving down to my neck, kissing and sucking on my neck and biting me.”

Taylor, who asked that a different name be used to protect her privacy, tried fighting back while telling Jess, her attacker, to stop.

“He was very aggressive and very violent with me. At times he grabbed my throat — right around my neck — and was gripping it,” Taylor said. “I kept saying, ‘Please let me leave. I don’t want to be here.’”Jess would not let Taylor leave. She said he kept forcing himself upon her and would not stop.

“When he moved his hands from holding my arms down and moved them to my neck, I tried pushing back at him,” she said. “At this point I was screaming, ‘No, no, let me leave.’ I tried fighting back and doing the best I could, but he would not give up.”

Taylor kept fighting back, but was not able to keep Jess from holding her down.

“He raped me,” she said.

Taylor said the incident lasted about 15 minutes, but it felt like hours. Once Jess released Taylor, she said she got up, ran out of the apartment and kept running.

“He came out and was yelling at me, but I did not look back,” she said. “I just ran down the stairs, got to my car and left. He called me 52 times that night asking me to come back, which proves how messed up he was that night.”

Feeling numb and unsure of what to do, Taylor said she went home and was in a daze. She said she eventually fell asleep, and when she woke up in the morning and looked in the mirror, she could not believe what she saw.

“When I looked in the mirror in the morning, I had bruises all around my neck,” Taylor said. “I was shocked to see there were physical marks on my body. I remember thinking I had to stay in my room all day. I did not know how I was going to cover it up.”

Approximately a month later, Taylor went to the Lubbock Police Department to file a restraining order and shared her story with two Lubbock police officers.

Taylor decided to press charges, but they were dropped for a lack of evidence.

According to the 2009 Texas Tech Clery Report, which includes all Tech campuses, there were two forcible sex offenses on campus. In 2009, according to the Lubbock Rape Crisis Center, 105 victims of rape were reported to be between the ages of 18 and 25. Only 26 of those reporting being raped said they were college students. The locations of the rapes were not disclosed.

Tech Chief of Police Ron Seacrist said not all sexual offenses are reported because many victims do not want police involvement, which results in an inaccurate number reported for sexual offenses on and off campus.

The Lubbock Police Department does occasionally notify university police out of courtesy if a student has been a victim of a crime off campus, Seacrist said. However, city police are not required by law to notify university police of crimes involving students.

A research report on the sexual victimization of college women conducted by the Department of Justice reports that women are 66.3 percent more likely to be a victim of completed rape off campus, while only 33.7 percent of women will be a victim of completed rape on campus.

—Editor’s note: It is The Daily Toreador’s policy not to publish the names of sexual assault victims without their permission.

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>